Antony Gormley's Angel of the North has been welcoming visitors to the North East since 1998 and can be seen at Low Eighton, Gateshead, NE8 7UB. The Angel of the North is one of Britain's largest sculptures measuring 20 metres in height with a 54 metre wingspan and is one of the most visible symbols of North East. The Angel can be seen on the A1 road to the south of Gateshead adjacent to Team Valley Trading Estate. It can also be seen by train on the East Coast Main Line.
Some facts about the Angel of the North...
- The Angel is one of the most viewed pieces of art in the world. It is seen by more than one person every second, 90,000 people every day or 33 million people every year.
- The Angel is one of the most famous artworks in the region - over four fifths of people in the North East had already heard of the Angel of the North before it was built.
- The Angel's 54 metre (175 feet) wingspan is bigger than a Boeing 757 or 767 jet and almost the same as a jumbo jet.
- The Angel is 20 metres (65 feet) high - the height of a five-storey building or four double decker buses.
- The Angel's wing height at the body junction is 6.2 m (6.75 yards) and it's ankle cross-section measures 780mm (.78m) by 1400mm (1.4m) or 30.73” (8.5 yards) by 55.16” (15.25 yards).
- The Angel weighs 208 tonnes.
- The Angel cost a total of £800,000 to be built.
- The Angel is made of weather resistant cor-ten steel (a steel invented for building bridges and now used where extra strength is needed without adding unduly to structural weight). It also contains a small amount of copper, which in time will form a patina on the surface and it will last for more than 100 years.
- The Angel has been built to withstands winds of more than 100 mph.
- The Angel is situated geographically at latitude 54.58 degrees North and longitude 1.35 degrees West.
- Beneath the Angel's feet 700 tonnes of concrete and 32 tonnes of reinforcing steel anchoring it to the solid rock beneath and it's foundations extending down 20 metres (65 feet).
This second video contains Antony Gormley OBE talking about the Angel of the North...
The Angel of the North in Gateshead is 20 minutes drive from our bed and breakfast accommodation. You can see room information including photographs on the rooms page of our website. You can check room availability, room prices and book online 24/7 using our online booking service.
Flavoured Gourmet Coffee
We are pleased to be able to offer guests who enjoy a Full English Breakfast with us a gourmet flavoured coffee menu... READ MORE
Very lovely stay overall, nice spacious clean rooms, comfy bed and nice and warm. Staff were more than accommodating and make a beautiful breakfast. Thank you for a brilliant stay 5/5... READ MORE